Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Jumble-o-Yum (it's a cookie)

So, my intention was to post this yesterday.  I was super excited to tell you how my BF made Jumble-o-Yum Cookies again last weekend.  But then, my computer got all sassy and fried it's own hard drive early Monday morning.  Nice one computer.  Go on and kill your bad self.

Anyway, that put a little delay on the written content...  Fortunatly I had a couple posts saved and ready to hold you over.  But now, with no further delay, I bring you the post I know I've been waiting for.


It's not just any cookie, Jumble is my BF's signature cookie.  And, although the name doesn't really tell you much about it, it's really the most appropriate name possible.  Now, if you were going to get all technical it would be call a Vegan & Gluten Free Olive Oil-Oatmeal-Coconut-Tofu-Pecan-Chocolate Chip Cookie. And people, that's just a ridiculous name.   Coming from someone, who as a child called her two favorites: "rock cookies" and "dirt cookies".  But shhhh, we wont go there.  I digress.  With no further ado, the how-to...

Jumble-o-Yum Cookies
(makes about 2 dozen)

3/4 cup King Arthur gluten-free flour
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup soft tofu
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans

- Preheat oven to 350º F
- In a large bowl (or skillet, if your bowl proves too small) stir together the flour, sugar, rolled oats, baking soda, baking powder, salt and coconut
- With a food processor, blend the tofu, oil, syrup, and vanilla
- Pour wet mixture into dry and stir until well combined
- Add the chocolate chips and pecans until they are well incorporated
- Scoop heaping tablespoons of dough onto a cookie sheet and press tightly with fingers
- Bake between 12-14 minutes or until edges are browned. Remove from the oven and let cool. Enjoy!!!

*recipe adapted from Vegan A Go-Go, by Sarah Kramer

After these babies popped outta the oven, I did some Sunday afternoon blog perusing.  Tea and Jumble in hand, of course.  And look what I found, Salt Bird's Pistachio Coconut Honey Oat Cookies!  I think Jumble may need to have his and her's versions.   His is established.   Her's (meaning mine) will be [his - chocolate chips & pecans] + pistachios & dried cranberries.  Yum.

All photos courtesy of the BF and little Leica

No comments:

Post a Comment