Friday, May 6, 2011

Celebratory Weekend

Two things happen this weekend; Derby Day and Mother's Day.  I wont be celebrating either  but it's not for lacking desire!

Regarding Derby Day:  I don't own a television (and never have).  Additionally, I'm not into bars and restaurants with big screens.  So... it's a little hard for me to catch Kentucky's race.  I did go to a Derby Day party four years ago.  Despite not giving a lick about who won (or for that matter, really understanding anything about horse racing) I had so much fun!  I love to go to another (wink, wink)!!!

On the Mother's Day front: my mommy is about 3,000 miles away.  I do wish that I were celebrating with the rest of my family; taking mom to a movie or baking her a special springtime dessert.  It's just not in the cards.  Oh bothersome California, why must you be so far away?!!!

If you are lucky enough to be hosting a Derby party or a Mother's Day get-together, here are some fun and festive ideas for your weekend entertaining:

- Lively decorations of watercolor ruffle streamers, available from Fashion Luv Bug on Etsy

- A filling main meal of Southern fried Mock-Chicken from Vegan Mama's kitchen and classic comfort side dishes of Tangy Red Potato Salad and Creamy Coconut Fruit Salad from Manifest: Vegan
 - If it's Derby Day that you're hosting: get favors to keep the spring heat away.  These colorful paper fans from Favors and Flowers are so pretty!
- Or, If it's a Mum's Day celebration: pick out a special card (Kate's Paperie, Table Top Made and Oh Geez!)
- Make sure there's a refreshing (but decadent!) dessert.  Try Julip Sorbet from the Food Network and Whipped Mint Tart with Blackberries by Big Girls Small Kitchen

- And lastly, every special event will benefit from one (or a few!) picturesque bouquets of colorful spring blooms.  Get inspired by Nicolette and Sarah of The Little Flower School


No comments:

Post a Comment