Thursday, April 7, 2011

Stuffed Cookies

Sorry this is getting posted so late in the day but I promise you it's worth the wait!

So... I think stuffed cookies may be the next big thing.  You know, first there were cupcakes and frozen yogurt, then it was mini pies and doughnuts.  Wait.  I know what you're going to say.  Something to the effect of, "No, no, no!  What, do you live in a cave?!  This is so the year of the cake-pop!"  And actually, I agree.  It does appear to be.  But there is something so low-brow about cake-pops.  (Sorry, I had to say it!)  Mashed up cake, glued together with frosting, covered with more frosting, decorated with more frosting (and candy) to look like something is... Cute.  Crafty.  Commercial.  (They have them at Starbucks, people.)

Don't get me wrong, if I was offered a cake-pop there is a pretty darn good chance I'll stick it in my face (especially if Bakerella handed it to me).  And I probably wouldn't be all dainty, nibbling and savoring every sugary morsel.  I'd probably inhale it.  You know, like a dog.  Without chewing.  Nice mental image, huh?  

But they're just not working me into profusions of eloquent praise.  At this point I may have lost some of you readers.  Back there at 'low-brow' you were like, "peace out, cake-hater."  And... for that I'm sorry.  Understand, I'm not saying cake-pops as an entity are wrong.  I think they could be oh-so-right, especially if you're making them yourself or buying them under the guidance of a little munchkin.  It's just that I get the feeling it may be to our collective detriment if these dessert treats were to sweep the nation (and world) for the better part of the next decade.  We can do better, yes?  I think so.

I think it's stuffed cookies all the way.  Easy to make.  Nice serving size.  Lots of room for variation. We may need to work on the name though... it's coming in a little low brow.  What say you? 

- Thank you Serious Eats.  Thank you.  This fella is the biggie.  The one that's sweeping the internet and baking realm.  Cookie stuffed cookies; an Oreo within your classic Chocolate Chip Cookie .  Like everyone else and their mother is saying, "why have I not thought of this before?!!!"
- And, they did a Nutter Butter version too.  The BF and I are big time fans of those.  Suff it within a Thick and Chewy Double Chocolate Cookie?  Mmmm.
- Consider too, a brownie stuffed cookie.  Oooh, goodness gracious.  Be Different, Act Normal you're Aaa-maze-ing.
- Next up, a candy stuffed cookie from Vanilla Sugar.  Woah, yeah!  Peppermint patty buried within a 'quarter pound' double chocolate cookie?!!!  It's like a thin mint... that went off it's diet.
- Another candy filled treat, the Salted Chocolate Caramel Stuffed Cookie from Crepes of Wrath.  Salty sweet?  Sounds like trouble.
- Moving on to cake stuffed cookies... This one is right up my alley.  It's called the Golden Girl; oatmeal cookie outside, cheesecake inside.  D-licious-ness.  Courtesy of the Baking Blond.
- This one is pretty spectacular too...  I lived and died for the topping on German chocolate cake as a kid.  German chocolate cake topping, inside a cookie? OMG.  Baker's Royal, you rock.
- This one is neither cookie, candy, nor cake stuffed.   But it's stuffed with something super... Nutella.  Peanut butter cookies filled with chocolate hazelnut butter sound like heaven in your mouth.  Want 'em now, From Ketchup to Chutney!

No comments:

Post a Comment