Thursday, July 21, 2011

Raw Key Lime Pie

It didn't tale long before the baking bug bit me again. (That springform pan and those Pyrex bowls are just too much fun!!!) And now it's even hotter in my little apartment! Yes. It's hard to believe. But we are over the 90 degree hump and into 24/7: sauna atmosphere.

So the story goes, I wanted to bake... without baking. This time I selected a raw dessert; a Key Lime Pie*. Summery! Refreshing! The recipe is a modification of Alyson's Pretty Darn Raw Vegan Cheese Cake that I found at Vegangela. I made a couple tweaks to it myself. And yikes, stripes, it's tasty!!!





Raw (Vegan) Key Lime Pie

2 cups almonds (I bought raw slivered, it made the job easier on my food processor)
7-9 Medjool dates
2 cups un-toasted flaked coconut (plus a couple tbs for topping)
4 cups raw cashews (soaked for three hours)
4 limes (juice and zest)
3/4 cup raw agave nectar
1 cup organic, unrefined coconut oil
1/2 cup water
1 vanilla bean or 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt

- Place the almonds in a food processor and finely chop, add in roughly chopped Medjool dates and 1 cup of flaked coconut, process until well incorporated
- Take a small amount of coconut oil and oil the bottom of your spring form pan (you can use a basting brush or paper towel to spread it around)
- Press the almond and date mix into the bottom of your pan.  Put the crust in the refrigerator while you finish the pie filling.
- After your cashews have soaked for a few hours, puree in a food processor.  Add the rest of the ingredients (the juice of all 4 limes, agave nectar, coconut oil, water, vanilla and salt) and continue to puree.  (For a stronger lime taste you can also add some of the lime zest.)
- Pour all but 1cup of the filling into the spring form pan.  Chill for at least 30 minutes, until somewhat set.
- Add 1 cup of flaked coconut to the remaining 1 cup of filling and process minimally in the food processor.  Mix in the zest of 2 limes.
- Spread the coconut pie mixture on top of the pie.  Place back into the refridgerator for at least 5 hours, preferably overnight.
- Just before serving, sprinkle some flaked coconut and fresh lime zest on top of the pie for a pretty presentation!

* I have to be honest... I've never had key lime pie.  So I really don't know how this compares, if at all.  I'm thinking it's probably nothing like any key lime pie you ever had.  It's still really, really, really delicious though!!!  And full of nutritious whole foods!

3 comments:

  1. Nice photos, Mary! Grandma's dishes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I love Grandma's dishes! You should make this recipe, or the regular one that I made at your b-day. Gluten free and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But...I'd have to cook! I need someone to make it for me...

    ReplyDelete