Friday, July 8, 2011

Dreamy, Creamy, (Vegan) Mint Chocolate Cheesecake

As promised, my baking adventure: a no-bake cheesecake.  I've been itching to whip up some desserts using my new spring form pan and Pyrex mixing bowls (birthday gifts).  With the temperatures hovering just below 90 degrees, turning on the oven sounded torturous.  Solution?  No- bake cheesecake!!!

I do share this recipe with a little hesitation though.  See... while completely delicious, the consistency is not perfect.  It set up more like a cream pie.  It lacks denseness.  I guess it needs a thickener.  Cornstarch?  Yeah, something like that.  But it's super good anyway : )

Dreamy, Creamy, (Vegan) Mint Chocolate Cheesecake

1 lb silken tofu
16 oz tofu cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch (I didn't use this... but will next time)
1.5 tsp mint extract
8 oz semi-sweet chocolate
30 mint chocolate sandwich cookies (Newman's Own!)
3 tbs coconut oil

- Crush 25 of the 30 sandwich cookies into a fine crumb (I used my food processor to cut down on time).  In a medium bowl combine the crumbs and 3 tbs coconut oil, mix well.
- Oil the bottom of a 9" spring form pan (pie pan will work too), press crumb into the bottom.  Place into the freezer for about 10 minutes.*
- In a food processor or blender puree the tofu.  Add the sugar and continue to puree until the sugar granules have all dissolved.  Add the mint extract.  Incorporate the tofu cream cheese.  Continue to blend until smooth.**
- In a saucepan, melt the chocolate
- Add melted chocolate to the tofu mixture (this can be done in the food processor/ blender or in a large mixing bowl.  Make sure the chocolate is well incorporated.
- Pour pie mix into the well-chilled pan
- Transfer to the refrigerator for at least 5 hours, preferably overnight.

 *  Because I didn't bake it, my crust it was a little crumbly when slicing into the cheesecake.  This didn't bother me.  But if you prefer and more solid crust, try baking for 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees.
**  This is where I would have added cornstarch.

No comments:

Post a Comment