Thursday, July 28, 2011

Heavenly Hemp

Do you cook with hemp?  Hemp seeds?  Butter?  Milk?  Protein powder?  I come from a hemp-loving family.  My brother is a big hemp-head.  He loves that it's a high-protien plant food and that it's an ultra sustainable, earth friendly crop.  There's also my mom who is all about non-gluten baking ingredients now that she has celiac disease.  The BF and I are hemp fans, mostly when it comes to dessert...  Our favorite spot in NYC has hemp-milk ice cream.  And it is D-licious, people!  The taste and consistency are incredible.

After reading Sara's posting about hemp baking on My New Roots (and doing a little research of my own) I'm going to stock up on some hemp ingredients.  Incorporating this super-food into my recipes is good for my body and the environment (and therefore, my piece of mind).  To recap: hemp is a vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free, trans fat-free, cholesterol free, and packed with protien (all 20 amino acids!).  Its very easy for your body to break down and absorb, it's high in fiber, contains the perfect ratio of essential fatty acids, and delivers vitamins A, B1, B3, B5, D, E, iron and magnesium.  Super!

Mmmm, looking forward to making a batch of these Hemp Protein Granola Bars.  Thanks Sarah, for the recipe and all the info!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment