Monday, October 29, 2012

Sour Cream Apple Pie

This pie is something I used to make for almost every holiday with my family.  Forunatly the vegan recipe is just as good; the difference in taste is undectable in fact!  So go ahead and indulge with this cholesterol-free version.  I opted to half the recipe and make four 4" tarts instead of one pie.  I actually recommend the pie versus tarts.  Don't misunderstand- the tarts were delicious.  But, I really love the thick, apple and custard-y filling to crust ratio on a pie... just my preference.

Vegan Sour Cream Apple Pie

Crust (from Vegan Baking)
2 1/2 cups flour *I used whole wheat
 2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegan butter cubed and cold
1/2 cup vegan shortening cubed and cold
1/4 cup very cold water
3 tablespoons vodka

Filling (adapted from All Recipes)
1 cup vegan sour cream
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg equivallent
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoon flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 apples * I only used one large apple for 4 tarts

Topping
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup room temperature butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

- I suggest you use whatever pie crust recipe and method you like most.  I use this one from Vegan Baking and have only had amazing results.  Even if you buy a crust or omit the crust completely, this will be a delicious pie.  So if making a crust freaks you out don't worry your pretty head!
- While your crust pre-bakes, combine the wet filling ingredients in a bowl.  Stir in the dry ingredients too.  Make sure it's well mixed and clump free.
- Fill you pre-baked crust with sliced apples.  I used a mandolin to get mine super thin, so they cook faster.  I especially recommend this if you decide to make tarts.  Pour the filling over the apples and let it fill all the nooks and crannies.
- Bake the pie for 25 minutes at 400 degrees.
- While pie is baking, mix all topping ingredients into a crumble.
- Add topping to semi-baked pie and bake for another 20 minutes
- Voilà, bon appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment