Thursday, December 2, 2010

Apples, Apples, Apples!

I was more excited than usual for fresh apples this autumn.  By summer’s end I was near desperate for their crisp sweetness.  Once the temps dipped below 70, I was mapping a road trip to do some of my own picking.  Hand-scrawled apple recipes littered my apartment.  I was apple mad!

If you’ve never been apple picking, you’re missing out!  It’s so beautiful.  And it smells delicious; a soft, sweet, floral and fruity perfume permeates the orchard.  So wonderful.  Sigh…

So, I picked apples.  20lbs of ‘em.  And, with the exception of 3 adorably tiny fellas, they’ve now all disappeared into muffins, pies, slaws, sauces, etc.  Oooh, I can’t wait till next year!  In the meantime, I’ll be making weekly trips to the green market, buying colorful bagfuls (and cider donuts)!


Top photo found here, on the Northeast Locavore's blog. 

Left to right:
- Woodchuck Hard Cider is my favorite drink!  Buy a case here.  Photo found on this site, along with in-depth look at other global ciders!
- A fanciful look beneath the tree boughs!  Photo taken in upstate NY, on my apple picking trip.
- Gale's Blackberry Apple Pie, found on the BBC recipe site.


No comments:

Post a Comment