Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Guest Post/ Instant Joy: The Impossible Project

This past Summer, my wonderful girlfriend (who writes this blog) bought me a Polaroid Spirit 600 CL for my birthday. At first, I didn't know what to think of it. It was quite unexpected. I already have a beautiful Leica, the camera to end all cameras. Why would I want this one? Do they still make film for these? Where do I put this thing? The 600 box type cameras are easily 4 times as large as typical point and shoot.

Probably noticing the bewildered half smile on my face as I unopened it, she assured me that it could be returned if I wasn't into it and pointed out the included receipt. I tend to make up my mind about whether I like something or not rather quickly, but after holding this camera for a few minutes, examining it, opening it up, inserting the fresh film pack (from a company I've never heard of), and then finally taking my first picture, I decided that I absolutely LOVED it. It was beautifully designed, fun to use and had this nostalgic quality about it. No charging batteries, no cables, no memory card, no iPhoto. Pure analog! Instant Joy. The film is still experimental so each shot has it's own unique imperfections and color shifts that your Hipstamatic iPhone app will never be able to replicate.

Since that moment, I began doing my research on the Impossible Project and old Polaroid cameras. About a month later and I now own 6 Polaroid cameras, 5 bags, 4 light shielding accessories and have purchased over 15 packs of film (and they aren't cheap!). I also just recently took a workshop at their NYC Space in Soho on SX-70 cameras, and one of my photos made into their "101Ways" project. I know what you're thinking — "Obsessed much?" I just appreciate beautiful things. You should see my Danish Modern Desk, but that's a blog post for another time.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Impossible Project, you should check out their story.

No comments:

Post a Comment