Thursday, March 10, 2011

Soda Bread

Saint Patrick's Day is around the corner, are you planning any festivities?  I'm not per say.  Although, I've in mulling a few recipes around in my mind.  Despite my Irish surname, I am decidedly un-Irish.  I don't have much of an Irish pallet either, I'm afraid.  Corned beef?  Eh, no thanks.

When I moved to NY I realized that St. Patty's is kind of a big deal.  On the East Coast anyway.  The first Patty's Day at my current 9-5 gig rolled around, and my coworker brought in home-made soda bread.  Soda bread?  Uh.  What?  So she explained.  And actually, I liked it quite a bit.  I mean, it is what it is.  Pretty dry.  Relatively bland.  But good.  She makes couple different types each year.  So, for the past four years I've been sampling her various recipes.  This St. Patrick's Day I was thinking of trying one out for myself!

Top image: Irish Soda Bread from What Katie Ate



Clockwise, from top left:
- Vanilla Sugar's Browned Butter Soda Bread
- King Arthur Flour's Cabot Cheddar Soda Bread
- 101 Cookbook's Oat Soda Bread 
- Salt Bird's Irish Soda Bread with Currants 
- Manifest: Vegan's Irish-ish Soda Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment